Home reading "Giants" (к учебнику "Way Ahead" 3)
- Ломейкина Марина Викторовна, учитель английского языка
- Социокультурный аспект: знакомство со странами, входящими в состав Соединенного Королевства и их географическим положением;
- Развивающий аспект: развитие способностей к логическому изложению мыслей, развитие памяти, внимания, воображения.
- Воспитательный аспект: воспитание интереса к культуре других стран.
- Учебный аспект: развитие умения читать с целью извлечения конкретной информации, лексических навыков (употребление глаголов make/ do; look); грамматических навыков (Present Simple, Present Continuous, Past Simple, Future Simple, Indirect Speech)
Оборудование: карта Соединенного Королевства
I. Phonetic exercises:
England [i?gl?nd] London [l?nd?n] Scotland [‘sk?tl?nd] Wales [weilz] Ireland [‘ail?nd] Irish sea [airi? si:] North sea [‘no:? ‘si:] giant [d?ai?nt] mountain [‘mauntin] bowl [b?ul] mixture [mikst??] oven [?v?n]
II. Grammar & Vocabulary.
1). Divide the verbs into three groups:
Helped, turned, lifted, looked, worked, pulled, cried, picked, shouted, dropped, pointed, carried, walked, asked, whispered, started, filled, opened, lived.
2). Write the 2d form of the verbs:
tell _______ grow_______ run_______ sit _____
go _______ have ______ get _____ eat _______
make _____ take______ put _____ come _____
say ______ forget _______ send _____ give ____
3). Write the degrees of comparison of the adjectives:
nice ___________ the_______________
friendly _____________ the__________________
young ______________ the __________________
big ________________ the __________________
4). Do or make?
The two verbs 'do' and 'make' are often confused. The meanings are similar, but there are differences. Eg. He doesn’t do any work.
'Do' for Activities. Use the verb 'do' to express daily activities or jobs. Notice that these are usually activities that produce no physical object.
do homework –делать домашнее задание
do housework – делать работу по дому
do the ironing - гладить (белье)
do the dishes – мыть посуду
do a job - делать работу
do business with- вести бизнес с кем-либо;
do some exercises- делать упражнения
do your best - делать все возможное
'Make' for Constructing, Building, Creating
Use 'make' to express an activity that creates something that you can touch.
Eg. She started to make some cakes.
make a cup of tea / coffee
make a mess напутать, испортить
make plans - строить планы
make an exception - делать исключение
make arrangements - принимать меры, делать распоряжения
make a telephone call - позвонить
make a decision – принять решение
make a mistake – сделать ошибку
make noise - шуметь
make money - делать деньги
make an excuse – оправдываться, находить отговорки
Make or Do: Choose the correct answer:
1. He's not the sort of person you can ______ business with.
2. You can't ______ much money doing nothing.
3. Can I ______ a phone call?
4. It's not what we want. We'll just have to ______ the best of it.
5. You must be quiet. You mustn't ______ a noise.
6. I hate ______ the beds.
7. You need to ______ some more work.
8. I think you are ________ a big mistake.
5) Phrasal verb: look.
- To look at – смотреть на
- To look after – присматривать (заботиться)
- To look for - искать
- To look up –искать, посмотреть что-либо (в словаре)
- Look out! – Осторожно!
Fill in the prepositions:
- Look_______! The car is coming.
- Could you look ________ my dog when I am on holiday.
- If you don’t know the word look it _____ in the dictionary.
- I can’t find my shirt. I am looking ______ it everywhere.
- Look ____ this picture, please.
6). What is the meaning of the verb “put”?
- We can put our clothes into the suitcase. ________ (положить)
- She puts stones into three of them.____________(кладет)
- She puts the tins into the oven._______________ (ставит)
- Wash your face and put on your big white shirt.________( надень)
- He puts one cow under each arm. ____________(берет)
7). Give it a name:
- A very large person _________________(a giant)
- A case for carrying clothes_________________ (suitcase)
- Four-wheeled carriage for a baby___________ (pram)
- Place where bread is made for sale___________ (bakery)
8). Put the tick where necessary:
|Present continuous||Present simple||Past simple||Future action|
|They lived in a house next to the mountain.|
|He doesn’t do any work and he takes our food.|
|Now he is looking for you.|
|Tomorrow he is going to throw you out of your house.|
|Next morning Una got up early.|
|You are making some cakes for our journey.|
|Are we going to carry our things in it?|
|He puts one cow under each arm and runs over the mountain.|
|The giant was not very happy.|
|The baby is sleeping.|
|He eats them very quickly.|
III. Work with the text:
1. Tell about Finn and the ugly giant, using the scheme:
2. Fill in the missing words: garden, make, took, put, oven, early, carried, big, three
Next morning Una got up.......... First she went out into the ...........and picked up lots of big stones. She .................. the stones into her kitchen. Then she started to.............. some cakes. Giants eat big cakes, so Una made a........... bowl of cake mixture. She...... four big tins and put stones into....... of them. Then she .......................the cake mixture into the tins, and put the tins into the ............
3. Use indirect speech: to ask smb. to do smth.
“Can I borrow the pram?” – She asked Kate to give her a pram for 1 day.
“Finn, get into a pram”- She asked Finn to get into a pram.
“Can you carry the cows from one field to another?” – She asked the ugly giant to carry the cows from one field to another.
“Where is Finn?” - He wanted to see Finn.
“I am sorry, he went out to pull up trees” She said that Finn went to pull up trees.
4. Retell the text, using the following phrases:
This story is written by Keith Gaines.
It is about the giant, whose name was Finn.
(Tell a few words about Finn and his wife).
One day ..... said that ......... to throw smb. out of the house
.......told his wife about.....
........was afraid of the big giant and wanted......
Una had a plan
.....went..... and asked.... to borrow.....
.........asked..... to get into.....
....got up... went into the garden..... picked...carried... made a big bowl of cake mixture.
......took 4 tins .....put stones........put the tins into....
Soon the big giant came.
Una said that.....
She asked the giant.........
2 hours later.... came ..... was very tired.
He wanted to see...... again.
Una said that Finn...........
The bakery was in ...... and Finn had to..........
Then Una asked the giant........
He had to lift.........
......Una made a cup of tea and gave ......a cake with stones.....
He hurt his..... and shouted loudly.
“The baby” cried and Una gave him........
The baby ate.........
The giant looked at.... and put his finger....
The baby bit....
The giant wanted to go...... because he understood that.....
IV. The end of the lesson.
Homework – to retell the text, using the phrases.
Summing up. Saying Goodbye.