Урок английского языка по теме "Thanksgiving Day". 8-й класс
- Степанова Татьяна Балданцыреновна, учитель английского языка
Разделы: Иностранные языки
Цель урока: Формировать умения употреблять лексический материал по теме Thanksgiving Day и обеспечение его первичной тренировки в серии речевых и языковых упражнений.
- Развивающие: развитие языковых, познавательных способностей учащихся, развитие готовности к коммуникации на основе предложенного речевого материала.
- Образовательные: расширение лингвистического и общего кругозора, развитие способности анализировать, выделять главное, совершенствование навыков поискового чтения.
- Воспитательные: создание условий для формирования у учащихся толерантного отношения к традициям и обычаям других народов.
- УМК “New Millennium 8” Н.Н. Деревянко и др. – изд. Титул, 2009, учебник английского языка для 8 класса
- раздаточный дидактический материал
Оборудование: Компьютер, проектор, экран, раздаточный материал по теме урока.
Good morning. Today we will continue to speak about different holidays. You know that people all over the world celebrate lots of holidays. I think you like holidays, don’t you?
What American holidays do you know?
Name the holidays: Christmas, Easter, St.Valentine’s Day, Halloween, and Independence Day.
What holiday is celebrated on the 4th Thursday of November?
Today we’ll speak about one of the American holidays - Thanksgiving Day. You’ll know about history, symbols and about traditions of this day.
II. Основной этап
- Take cards and read out words & word combinations which refer to Thanksgiving Day.
Festival, card, thanks, to decorate the house, to colour eggs, to buy chocolate eggs, don’t go to work, to come together, special dinner, to put presents under the Christmas tree, to eat beans, to eat traditional meals, to relax, the Native Americans, Thanksgiving parade, to send Thanksgiving cards, the Pilgrims.
- Please, read the text about Thanksgiving Day. And then read out some new information.
I have learnt that ...
It was interesting to know that ...
Thanksgiving Day is on the last Tuesday in November. It is an American holiday. Thanksgiving Day is a national holiday, so most people don’t go to work. The families come together for a special dinner. They eat turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pies, nuts, beans, corn bread and sauce made from cranberries. After dinner people relax, talk and watch a football game on TV. Football is the most popular game on the day. Usually there are several football games to watch on TV.
Every Thanksgiving Day there is a very big parade in New York City. Santa Claus arrives at the end. His coming marks the beginning of the Christmas season.
Shops, classrooms and homes are decorated with turkeys, pilgrims, Indians, flowers and vegetables.
Thanksgiving Day started over 380 years ago with Pilgrims. 1620 one hundred Pilgrims came to America from England. They came on board the “Mayflower”. The first winter the Pilgrims were hungry, sick and cold. Their life was difficult and full of danger. But the Native Americans helped the Pilgrims. They taught the Pilgrims to plant corn, to build houses, to hunt.
In the autumn of 1621 the Pilgrims had their first harvest. It was rather good. The Pilgrims decided to have a special dinner. They had a thanksgiving dinner for all the people. It lasted three days. They thanked the Native Americans for their help.
The Pilgrims – a first small group of people who came to America many years ago for religious freedom.
Answer the following questions:
- When did the pilgrims sail to America?
- What was the name of their ship?
- Who helped the pilgrims to survive?
- Why did the pilgrims decide to celebrate the Thanksgiving Day?
- When do Americans celebrate Thanksgiving Day?
- What is the main dish?
Watch the presentation about Thanksgiving Day and fill in the gaps,correct your answers.
One hundred Pilgrims came on board the ship _______ in _______
to _______ from _________.
The Native Americans showed the Pilgrims how to _____________.
In the autumn of 1621 the Pilgrims had a _________ for _________.
The members of the family meet together on Thanksgiving Day and have a _________.
People eat _______ on Thanksgiving Day.
People like to watch a ______________ on TV.
There are many decorations on Thanksgiving Day. ______ are among them.
One of the traditions on Thanksgiving Day is a ________ in New York City.
People send __________ each other.
- Now watch the film about Pilgrims& say which of the following sentences true and false. Check your answers.
- The ship’s length was 115 ft.
- Steering room was in the cargo deck.
- The Pilgrims lived during the voyage in the lower deck.
- The Pilgrims often went up top.
- The Mayflower was built to transport supplies.
- Most of the passengers were women and girls.
- The oldest passenger was 46 years old.
- Baby was born on board.
- The ship dropped anchor at the end of November.
- It took 66 days to complete the journey.
- Half of the passengers and crew survived the first winter.
- The Mayflower didn’t sail back to England.
- Americans are direct descendants of Mayflower passenger.
III. Заключительный этап. Подведение итогов.
Our lesson is over. Thank you for your work. Have you liked our lesson?
It was interesting because ...
I know about Thanksgiving Day that ...
Homework: Your home task is to make presentation about Thanksgiving Day.